Free and Reduced Lunch Information

  • The 2019-2020 Free and Reduced Lunch Available Now!

    A New Application MUST Be Filled Out Each School Year In The Current Year (July 1 - June 30) If you received free/reduced lunch last school year, it DOES NOT carry over year to year.

    To get started visit: (Parents, if this link is not working on your phone, please go to a computer). 

    This is the fastest and easiest way for parents to apply for free and reduced meals. This service enables families to receive program benefits faster than using the paper application. Your application is electronically submitted directly to the central office for processing.

    Also, applications may be filed using the Commonwealth of PA Access to Social Services (COMPASS) website at 

    • NOTE: A New Application MUST Be Filled Out Each School Year In The Current Year (July 1 - June 30) If you received free/reduced lunch last school year, it DOES NOT carry over year to year.

    • Only one application needs to be filled out per household. Please do not fill out a separate application for each child.

    • If you have received a Direct Certification letter that your child will receive free lunch, please do not fill out an application  

     Need A Computer? A Computer with Internet Access is Available at the District Service Center, 100 Commerce Drive, Quakertown, PA 18951. 

  • Applications for Free and Reduced-Price Meals

    To assist schools in providing household applications to non-English speaking families in their native language, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides the Prototype Application for Free and Reduced-Price School Meals translated into 49 other languages. Note: The USDA has advised that the household applications for 2019-2020 SY will not be updated at this time. The following link provides access to the foreign languages Prototype Application for Free and Reduced-Price School Meals on the USDA website from school year 2016-2017. We are permitted to use the foreign languages 2016-2017 SY versions on the USDA website, but they must be submitted with the title updated to reflect 2019-2020 SY prior to being accepted.


  • Frequently Asked Questions 


      • All children in households receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly the Food Stamp Program) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits are eligible for free meals.

      • Foster children who are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.

      • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.

      • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.

      • Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this CHART. 

    1. HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHILDREN QUALIFY AS HOMELESS, MIGRANT OR RUNAWAY? Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, call or e-mail Janet Pelone at or (215) 529-2007.

    2. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT AN APPLICATION FOR EACH CHILD? No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. 

    3. SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE ALREADY APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? No, but read the letter you received carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility letter, contact QCSD Business Office, 100 Commerce Drive, Quakertown, PA 18951 at (215) 529-2022.

    4. CAN I APPLY ONLINE? Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit or visit the PA Department of Human Services website at

    5. MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE? Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first 30 operating school days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year. If you do not complete a new application that is approved by the school or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price for meals.

    6. I GET WIC. CAN MY CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please complete an application.

    7. WILL THE INFORMATION I GIVE BE CHECKED?  Most Likely. We, or the State, may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

    8. IF I DON'T QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY LATER? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. Ex:) Children with a parent/guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and/or reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

    9. WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE DISTRICT'S DECISION ABOUT MY APPLICATION? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Zachary Schoch, Chief Operating Officer, 100 Commerce Drive, Quakertown, PA 18951 or (215) 529-2031.

    10. MAY I APPLY IF SOMEONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT A U.S. CITIZEN? You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals.

    11. WHAT IF MY INCOME IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME? List the amount that you normally For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

    12. WHAT IF SOME HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS HAVE NO INCOME TO REPORT? Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meantto do so.

    13. WE ARE IN THE MILITARY. DO WE REPORT OUR INCOME DIFFERENTLY? Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

    14. WHAT IF THERE ISN’T ENOUGH SPACE ON THE APPLICATION FOR MY FAMILY? List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper and attach it to your application. Contact [name, address, and phone number, email] to receive a second application.

    15. MY FAMILY NEEDS MORE HELP. ARE THERE OTHER PROGRAMS WE MIGHT APPLY FOR? To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits, visit, contact your local county assistance office, or call (800) 692-7462.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.